Monday 4 September 2017

Girl From The North Country review (Old Vic production 2/9/17)


Girl From The North Country (bit of a review) - as someone who thinks only Dylan should sing Dylan songs (though I am unable to stop myself singing them) the play/musical did a really good job of presenting Bob's work with some really nice/imaginative arrangements. I was really surprised by how many they squeezed in and the range of songs from across his catalogue (apparently Bob gave the writer/director carte blanche rights to whatever he liked). After saying that it felt like there were two or three too many in the end and one or two too many medleys (some worked, some didn't).
But let me start again, from the beginning of the play (I'm not going to specifically reference any song titles as that was one of the best bits, not knowing what was coming up next). It was a relatively simple stage set with a cracking band of piano, bass and fiddle plus drums to one side which a couple of the cast played as they sang. A big(ish) cast of well known actors (though I didn't recognise any except for one from Father Ted :-) ) and a number of extra singers who boosted the chorus. The first song was really really good and had me in tears. A stunning start. The second one, not so much. It highlighted one of the flaws (in my eyes/ears) where a song had been selected which just didn't fit (I suspect it was just for the line which referenced Minnesota, the setting of the play). It was also sung in a more theatrical style (yes, I realise this is theatre but I think the show was trying for something different/more authentic with the rest of the songs). Generally though the singing was very good, especially where the cast provided backing harmonies. Lovely stuff. One of the things it did avoid (and I was dreading) was where the dialogue was contrived to lead into a song "You know I've always though of her as being JUST LIKE A WOMAN" :-)
A little bit on the play itself i.e. if you stripped away the music, would it stand up as a work? Yes and no. As it stands it probably should be titled Parents From The North Country as the 'girl' didn't have much of a focus for large parts. It was a pretty good story though, well told. The casting was always going to be tricky I imagine as they would have been looking for good singers and actors (where they broadly succeeded) My only issue was that they didn't look right, age/size wise. The mother was tiny and could easily play a teenager from a distance (which is the perspective in a theatre of course with no close ups) and the daughter was just about the tallest person on stage. I guess though they went for singing and acting first which is fair enough. Overall it was well worth seeing and very enjoyable for most part. It deserves to run longer than it is scheduled for at the Old Vic and would benefit from some pruning and reshaping on the way. 7 out of 10.
After saying that, the audience gave it a standing ovation so what do I know

CD of 'soundtrack' 

No comments:

Post a Comment